Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Friday 5 August 2016

Throwback Thursday 1st Anniversary!

But first of all I want to say thank you to everyone who commented on my last post - Another Mystery Solved - an all time high of comments! I am so pleased that you liked my quilt.

So now it is Congratulations! to Jenn as she celebrates her first year of Throwback Thursday!


There are lots of lovely projects to view already so do please go visit Jenn 

In May 1983 I was living in Rome having moved there from Norwich, UK where I had spent the previous two years studying for City & Guilds Embroidery. I completed my two final pieces in Rome and then returned to Norwich to sit the three written exams. At that time there was no C&G Patchwork and Quilting and these subjects were included in the embroidery syllabus.  As a keen quilter I felt I had to use my skill for one of my final projects and so my Peacock Cot Quilt was born.

This photograph was taken at the time.



I used silk for the front and back of the quilt with a polyester batting - there was no other choice of batting at the time!

The edging is piped.



It is all hand quilted and I used a water erasable blue marker pen to draw the design on to the silk. Despite dire predictions at the time that the pen would do nasty things to the fabric, this photograph taken today, over 30 years later, proves those predictions wrong!


There seems to be a slight discoloration where the pen mark was but the silk has not rotted away as I feared might happen.

After sitting the exams (and my brothers wedding, conveniently held at the same time!) I had to return to Rome but my lovely tutor Jeanette Durrant put together my work for the  C&G students exhibition.

Here are a couple of photographs taken of my work.



The panel to the left of my quilt was my other final piece - a Roman block of flats with grocery store on the ground floor, plants on the balcony and washing hung out to dry.

A few more pictures of the quilt.




So, it is the first Friday of the month and therefore Friday Night with Friends! I shall be back tomorrow with a report on what I have been up to. Hope you have all had a good Friday.

8 comments:

  1. The quilt is gorgeous. I love seeing your work on display. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that peacock - he turned out beatifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that peacock - he turned out beatifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely work! Yes FNWF - I've actually worked on hexies to surround the signature hexie you sent me. enjoy your weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your peacock is so awesome. You have a grHappy holidayeat talent right from the start. So happy that the blue pen didn't do any damage. Who is the beautiful lady? and those wonderful butterflies? Oh I want to see so much more of your wonderful work. Thanks for sharing. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a interesting post. It was lovely to see your work from years ago. I really enjoyed it. Good to know that the pen didn't do permanent damage to the silk. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your peacock quilt - what fun looking back to work so long ago...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning! And encouraging to here that the blue pen had no ill effects. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.